State Patrol officers stand guard in front of a burned down apartment building on May 29 in Minneapolis. Law enforcement surrounded the area around the Minneapolis Police Third Precinct headquarters after riots broke out. Photo by Max Nesterak/Minnesota Reformer.
A new Minnesota law creating stricter standards for police use of force has been put on hold until a lawsuit challenging it is resolved.
The law went into effect in March, but a judge ordered it shelved while the lawsuit continues.
Some questions, answered.
A judge granted police groups’ motion for temporary injunctive relief and denied the state’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit. So the law is on hold until the lawsuit is over.
What does the law do?
Under the 2020 law, deadly force could no longer be justified to protect the officer or another person from “apparent” death or serious harm. Instead, they could use deadly force if death or harm is “reasonably likely to occur.” Officers have to be able to “articulate with specificity” the threat. The law also restricts when police can use deadly force to stop someone fleeing law enforcement.
What prompted the change in law?
The law was passed in July 2020 after George Floyd was killed by Minneapolis police, sparking global outrage and police reforms. Supporters said it would increase police accountability, with state Rep. Rena Moran, DFL-St. Paul, saying the old law was too subjective.
Who sued over it?
The lawsuit was filed by the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, the Minnesota Sheriffs’ Association, the Minnesota Chiefs of Police Association and Law Enforcement Labor Services.
Why did they sue?
The law enforcement groups have tried to change the law since it was enacted, saying the language is too restrictive, and that they weren’t given enough time to train officers on it. Their lawsuit alleges officers would be forced to testify against themselves in excessive force cases, because the law would require them to specifically articulate the conditions under which they decided to use deadly force. They contend that’s a violation of their Fifth Amendment rights to not testify against themselves.
Why did the judge pause the law?
Ramsey County District Judge Leonardo Castro, who was appointed in 2012 by former Gov. Mark Dayton and had been a public defender, wrote in his order that the public policy implications are severe, so it needs to be done correctly.
How long will it be on hold?
Castro said oral arguments will take place within 60 days, and then he will rule at some point after that.
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.